Saturday, October 6, 2012

Leaking Fuel Pump *Update

Got started today with attempting to swap out a rear wheel brake cylinder.  

After I got the rear of the car up on jack stands, I noticed a scent of gasoline coming from the front driver's side of the car.  After removing the heater blower, I stuck my hand down and felt that the fuel pump was dripping.  So, after removing the pump, I was able to look at it in the sunlight and saw that there was a slight crack at the base of the inlet.  

I tried to scrape some of the paint away to reveal the crack.  

Upon closer inspection, I noticed it was also visible from the inside.

**UPDATE**
I used JB Weld WaterWeld for the internal crack and sealed it up by applying a thin layer around the area.  WaterWeld was the recommended sealant because this area is submerged in gasoline.  For the outside cover, I layered JB Weld on thick and allowed for it to set for over 24 hours before installing and testing.  So far: no leaks; car runs and I'm back on the road.   

No comments:

Post a Comment