Saturday, September 7, 2013

Honda N600 Sedan Rear Shock Absorber Replacements - Amazon KYB 343143 GR-2 Excel G

Driving this Honda 600 around is a shear pleasure!  I get lots of looks, stop sign chats, and overall, a sense of pride from owning a piece of automotive and Honda history!  However, now that the brake problem has been sorted, I cringe with each bump, pothole, and minor road imperfection that are ever-present her in San Francisco.  So, I've decided to replace the shock absorbers.  With some research, I've found that the rear shocks seem to have a more suitable replacement part than the front struts, and while I am still concerned with the front, I will focus my attention on the back.  So, even though some don't like the stiff ride of the KYB shocks (Amazon Link) that are originally for the Volkswagen Beetle, I look forward to riding around on anything that is better than what's on there now! (literally, it feels like only the leaf springs are function now)

So, it's downstairs to the garage!




Here, they are!  The old ones in place connected from the wheel well under the plastic rear seat trays to the rear axel.









Here's the replacement shock, as sent from the seller from Amazon.

Removal of the bottom nut with a 12mm wrench allowed me to pop off the bottom mount with a rubber mallet.  Followed by the removal of the mounting nuts on the top, the old, worn out shock was no longer in place. Video below shows no return action.

New hardware on left; old on right.

With only a little pressure, the new one was placed into position and new washers and rubber spacers were installed. I chose to use the original 12mm mounting nut and lock washer.


 Old hardware was too narrow and wouldn't fit the new shock bolt. So, I put them on the vice and bored out the new size to fit.  Note, these are only the top washer that mount over the rubber on the top end of the shock.


With the tightening of the mounting nuts up top, the shocks are now secure and ready for a test drive!







No comments:

Post a Comment