Saturday, October 12, 2013

Honda N600 Sedan Replacement Carpet 80/20 Loop Cloth Bound

It's pretty difficult to find a 40+ year old vehicle with useable, intact upholstery.  My N600 has suffered from ripped, torn, worn, dirty, dusty but original carpet.  Although not completely bad, it had wear spots that allow a view of the floorboard.  So out with the old and in with the new.  Unfortunately, there isn't a replacement set for the original 3 piece carpet set.  Instead, through a few recommendations, I opted to go with a 80/20 loop 5 piece carpet set with a cloth binding.  It had been mentioned that this was closest to the original look and feel of the stock carpet set.  With much thanks to Mike O'Conner, I was able to place an order with him to have the new delivered.  But first I had to replace some of the missing rubber plugs.  I found these replacements from Lowe's:

 

Here are the panel plug replacements through the floor board.












These are the replacements from Lowe's.  I went with the 1 inch, but it was a tight fit.  I was able to get it in with a hit or two from a rubber mallet.  I imaging the 7/8 inch to fit too.





 

After a search for replacement fasteners, I ended up using the original.  After removing them from the original carpet and cleaning them up, they looked just as new on the new carpeting.

I started with the driver side front wheel well.  The carpet set came with some padding, and I added a extra layer to make everything look smooth.

Even though there were slight discrepancies with the pattern of the new carpet, I made some slight adjustments and agree that the new set looks far better than before.  This picture features the wheel cover section, the driver's side floor mat, and the section that rests over the middle hump.  Although not shown in the picture, the floor mat is a little too long as it reaches under the seat, but not long enough at the top to stretch completely up and attach above the gear shifter.  I imagine this could be corrected with a recut with the curve near the wheel well. 

However, the overall look is astounding!  I am very pleased!  I didn't get a picture of it, but the kit also included the rear seat and under seat flooring section.



In this picture, you can see the small gap between the wheel well and the passenger side floor mat, but with some movement, it's hardly noticeable.  

3 comments:

  1. With the carpet replacement you bought, where did u buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to order a set where can i order it

    thanks ronnylucassen@Live.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 600's name is w1ndup. I have owned it since 1978 in high school. I am looking for a new carpet set. where did u get yours?

    ReplyDelete