Monday, June 21, 2021

Honda N600 Sedan Front Seat Re-upholstery

Ever since getting this n600, I have wanted to redo the front seat covers.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good duct tape job, but as I've continue to refresh the interior of the car, the worn front seats kept sticking out like a sore thumb.  


I remember posts from the Yahoo! Group (before Yahoo! ended it) had options for new covers for the original seats, so the idea had always been in the back of my mind to just get a set of replacement covers.  Well, that time had finally arrived.  Luckily, I'd been in touch with Bill Colford via facebook on other pieces of this project.  He helped out by contacting the upholstery shop that has the patterns for these reproduction covers.  Additionally, he let me know there were choices on which design I wanted to get.




I went with the second picture (the one that has the design flare out).  This was the design that best matched the rest of the interior.  


Installation was pretty easy, just take your time!  Remove the seats from car but unbolting them from the 4 nuts from under the vehicle.  Undo the metal fasteners from the seat base to remove the cover and separate it from the foam.  I ended up wrapping the original foam with a layer of white foam batting from my local Jo-Ann's and applied Tacky Spray adhesive in order to secure the batting, foam, and new cover.  This was also to contain the deteriorating yellow foam from falling out from under the seat and collecting in the carpet below. 

For the seat back, there are 6 metal tabs near the base that can be unbent in order to loosen up the cover.  For reinstallation, I turned the new seat back cover inside out and put extra batting at the top to cover the seat head rest mounting slot because I didn't want to install them.  I rolled the seat cover down and sprayed the adhesive as I went along.  I also wrapped the seat back yellow foam with batting, and it resulted in a little bit more fluffy, comfortable feel to the seat.  Not sure if the seat covers needed to be installed on specific sides, driver or pass, but they looked close enough to me.  Very pleased with how they turned out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment